Team WA are investigating the concept of a Neighbourhood of Learning and whether it provides benefit to both the learners and the community. We are using Fremantle as a Case Study given the unique cultural context with primary, secondary, tertiary and lifelong learning located within a close urban area. Are there lessons here for holistic education in a broader context?
The team is currently in the process of visiting and examining 14 educational facilities together with museums, galleries, the library and the arts centre. How do these facilities values reflect their spatial and educational context? How are relationships with other facilities managed? What lessons are there for other facilities?
We thank the following institutions for contributing to our research so far:
- Christ the King School, Beaconsfield
- The Film and Television Institute, Fremantle
- The Fremantle City Library & Meeting Place, Fremantle
- The Fremantle Leisure Centre & Samson Recreation Centre
- The Fremantle Prison, Fremantle
- Harbour Theatre, Fremantle
- Hilton Primary School, Hilton
- Lance Holt School, Fremantle
- University of Notre Dame, Fremantle
- Whitegum Valley Primary School, Whitegum Valley
- Winterfold Primary School, Beaconsfield
We presented some interim findings in Sydney in November 2013 – please see the video below.
Our further findings will be presented at the CEFPI Regional Conference in Adelaide in May 2014. If you’d like to learn more about the conference please visit the website.
If you would like to know more about the project, or have some insights or information that could help our research, please email Dani Martin at email@example.com
Meet Team WA