Dandenong High School, Dandenong, Victoria
Winner – Category 1B Major Facility Construction
Winner – Major Facility Construction
- Created an excellent model for a contemporary secondary school learning environment.
- Created buildings that were responsive to the diverse needs of individuals, including both their academic and social requirements.
- Created spaces within the buildings that facilitate social connectedness and good interpersonal relationships between all members of the small learning communities in each building by using the ‘school within school’ concept to break up the larger school population.
- Created buildings that allow for pedagogical innovation.
- Impressed with the extensive design process that enabled collaboration with multiple stakeholders and included a spatial and pedagogical trialing and testing process in pre-existing buildings.
- Used common materials in creative ways to produce at aesthetically pleasing set of buildings.
- Addressed environmentally sustainable design requirements with through the effective use of passive design principles, and low energy heating and cooling systems.