NZ Chapter: Inclusive Design Webinar
05 Sep 2023
Duration: 60 minutes
The Learning Environments New Zealand and Tārai Kura Online Series is for school leaders and designers of redevelopments and new school builds, and is of interest to all school leaders in Aotearoa. The focus is on sharing innovation, provocation and current or future-focused topics. This event is all about “Inclusive design – creating spaces that work for all learners”.
This series featured a flipped approach. To allow time for an interactive discussion with our speakers and each other, participants were provided with a short 10-minute video reflection from our speakers to view prior to the event. Video is linked below.
In this online event, we explored different perspectives and experiences of designing inclusive spaces for all ākonga. We had the chance to hear top tips from the speakers in the pre-video (linked above), and the online event itself provided us with the opportunity to dig deeper through the presentation, facilitated discussion, as well as Q & A.
Join us and the speakers as we learn from and reflect together on these questions:
- How can we create/design flexible spaces that suit a range of needs, now and into the future?
- What advice would you give leaders undertaking a design process
- In what ways does, or might, your school support inclusive practices and specific learner needs through its use of space and resources?
- Di Cavallo and Shona Smith led the discussions and Q&A session
- Bojana Kavrakovska, Architectural Designer and co-leader of IDEA group / Ignite Architects, Education sector
- Pella Perston, HOD Learning Support / SENCO, Western Springs College / Ngā Puna o Waiōrea
- Jane Tan, Learning Support teacher, Western Springs College / Ngā Puna o Waiōrea
- Dr Gabrielle Wall, Principal Consultant | D & G Consulting, General Manager | Greater Christchurch Schools’ Network
- Trudi Brocas, Tumuaki | Principal, Auckland Central Specialist School